FAQ & Additional Information
The data we use to build our reports is exclusive, and ONLY available through the Harbor Trucking Association (HTA). We, along with our partners, have established a system for gathering and collating data from GPS transponders installed on the trucks that log exact times of entry and exit, along with other valuable data.
Our data gathering and reporting practices have been validated and verified by an independent 3rd party to ensure the reliability and accuracy of the data in our reports.
Data Processing Methodology and Assumptions
The following is how we process the data and apply assumptions for ensuring that we are compiling the most accurate information possible.
- Maximum and Minimum Time
- Queue Time
- No minimum
- Maximum of 5 hours
- In-Terminal Time
- 15 minute minimum
- 7 hour maximum
- Middle of the Night Arrivals
- For trucks entering the queue after 2:00 AM and before 6:00 AM.
- Queue time is not started until 6:00 AM.
- Example: A truck that enters the queue boundary at 3:00 AM and enters the terminal at 8:15 would have a 2 hour and 15 minute queue time.
- Late Afternoon Arrivals
- For trucks that enter the queue between 3:00 PM and 5:00 PM and enter the terminal after 5:00 PM.
- Queue time is not started until 5:00 PM.
- Example: A truck that enters the queue boundary at 4:00 PM and enters the terminal at 6:15 would have a 1 hour and 15 minute queue time.
- For trucks that enter the queue between 3:00 PM and 5:00 PM and enter the terminal before 5:00 PM.
- Treated as a standard move.
- Example: A truck that enters the queue boundary at 4:00 PM and enters the terminal at 4:45 would have a 45 minute queue time.
- Queue and Terminal Boundaries
- Boundaries for the Queue and Terminals are presented here.
- A truck visit must have both a queue and an in-terminal record to be included in the study. Queue records without a corresponding in-terminal record are excluded.
- Pier 400/CUT West
- Terminal boundaries for Pier 400 and CUT West are the same. Current terminal configuration does not allow for separation of these two terminal operations.
- Maersk queue entrance is north and east of CUT queue entrance.